Our heart failure service provides specialist investigation and treatment for people with heart failure, which includes any condition where the heart does not function sufficiently for the needs of the body.
We aim to help patients understand their condition and the specific cause, if possible, behind this. We liaise with other teams as necessary in the case of more complex situations such as cancer and pregnancy. We ensure patients are at the centre of their treatments and where possible, we provide treatment and care locally in the community.
Conditions and treatments
Heart failure has many causes including coronary heart disease, valvular heart disease, hypertension, cardiotoxicity, heart muscle disease (e.g. hypertrophic or dilated cardiomyopathy), infection-related heart disease, infiltrative heart disease (e.g. iron overload, sarcoidosis, amyloidosis), storage disorders (e.g. Fabry’s) and pregnancy-related heart failure.
We also run a dedicated frailty clinic, at some of our sites, for older people with heart failure.
Each type of heart failure may require very different treatments; however we have expertise in the following:
- Medications to help with symptoms of fluid overload
- Medications shown to improve symptoms, quality of life and prognosis
- Device treatment (e.g. pacemakers) to help improve heart efficiency
- Device treatment to help treat very abnormal heart rhythms
- Specialist nursing support for education and optimisation of treatment
- Cardiac catheter treatments and/or surgery
- Onward links for mechanical support and/or transplantation
We have close links with our inherited cardiac conditions colleagues and can help facilitate family screening and genetics tests.
Research is central to the ethos of the heart failure service. There are a number of on-going clinical trials that the team may discuss with you during your appointment or contact you afterwards to discuss in more detail.
We offer heart failure elective placements – please contact the lead consultant for more information.
Further online resources
- British Society for Heart Failure: Books and pamphlets
- British Society for Heart Failure: Patient groups
- NHS: Heart Failure
- Pumping Marvellous
- British Heart Foundation