Percutaneous coronary intervention
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is a leading specialist tertiary centre for percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) offering the latest and most advanced assessment and treatments for patients with coronary artery disease. The service covers the entire spectrum of treatment options available for patients with coronary disease including complex PCI treatments.
As one of London’s eight heart attack centres, we offer round-the-clock emergency care and treatment for patients with suspected heart attacks. Many patients are brought to us directly by the ambulance service when heart attack is suspected.
Conditions we treat
- acute coronary syndromes (heart attack)
- angina (or angina equivalent)
- chest pain
- shortness of breath
Treatments we offer
- full range of coronary intervention and advanced coronary imaging
- coronary angiography
- pressure wire assessments (FFR and iFR)
- intravascular ultrasound (IVUS)
- intravascular optical coherence tomography (OCT)
- complex PCI including rotational and laser atherectomy
- Impella device support for selected cases
- chronic total occlusion (CTO) PCI
- Intravascular lithotripsy using Shockwave technology
- Chronic total occlusion (CTO) PCI
- multi-vessel PCI
- high risk coronary intervention
- tailored coronary revascularisation for chronic kidney disease patients
Research and discoveries
The Trust has a pioneering PCI service with many of the consultants holding senior academic appointments within Imperial College London. Some of the most recent advances in the field and technologies that are used internationally have been developed by consultants at the Trust such as the iFR pressure wire assessment tool. Our team’s scientific research and discoveries are also often featured in the national and international press.
There are a number of ongoing clinical trials within the department and please feel free to ask the team when you have your appointment. Alternatively, the team may discuss this with you during your appointment or contact you afterwards to discuss in more detail.
We offer PCI elective placements — please contact the relevant consultant for more information. We also offer the Imperial Valve and Cardiovascular Course, an annual four-day course for cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, vascular surgeons, anaesthetists, physiologists, radiographers and cath lab and cardiac nurses. Visit IVCC-London.co.uk to learn more.