Develop a rewarding career in a supportive environment
Nurses and midwives
Develop a nursing or midwifery career with us
Develop a nursing or midwifery career with us
Join over 4,800 nurses and midwives working for us and take your career to the next level. From major trauma and emergency medicine, to renal and neurosciences, we have opportunities for nurses and midwives across more than 50 clinical specialties.
At Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, we are committed to supporting you to develop a rewarding career in a supportive environment where you’ll establish the strong clinical foundation you need to progress.
As a newly qualified nurse or midwife, you can:
· Benefit from our preceptorship programme to ease your transition from student to confident clinician
· Sample different environments and specialities and attend in-house training courses and study days
As an experienced nurse or midwife:
· Take part in one of our outstanding leadership courses or become involved in a quality improvement programmes
· Receive support from our dedicated training hub for nurses and midwives looking to pursue an academic career
Learning and development
If you join our Trust as a nurse or midwife, we will make sure you have access to training and education to support your continued professional develop, including:
Generic study days and specialty courses
- Pain study days
- Venepuncture and cannulation course
- Cerner: our patient administration system
- Parallel communication workshops – supporting you to become confident communicating with patients
Depending on the specialty you work in, you will have access to specific study days and courses to help you progress in that area.
Our preceptorship programme for nurses and midwives Is a 12-month programme designed to support you to move from student to confident, competent and qualified practitioner – giving you the best start in your career.
Leadership and management programmes
We have a wide range of in-house leadership and management courses designed to give you the tools you need to effectively lead a team, understand your management style and optimise your performance. Each programme is designed to match your needs, interests and previous experience and will support you to move to the next stage in your career.
Annual nursing conference
Take part in our annual nursing and healthcare support worker conference. Network and connect with your peers and find out about the latest developments in your profession at the Trust.
Coaching and career clinics
We run regular career clinics where you can drop in and have a conversation about your career, and raise any questions or concerns you have. All our senior nurses have received training to use career-coaching tools to help support you to plan your career.
Our internal transfer scheme enables band 5 nurses to express their interest in transferring to another department within the Trust to gain more experience. This enables you to create your own rotational programme. We also offer a rotational programme for newly qualified nurses who join the Trust within specific speciality areas.
Benefits and on-site facilities
Find out more about the wide range of benefits and discounts you’ll receive as part of our nursing and midwifery team, including:
· Fitness facilities: join one of our on-site gyms and enjoy access to swimming pools as well as yoga and meditation classes
· Childcare: a staff nursery at Charing Cross Hospital for children aged six months to five years
· Faith facilities: we have a chapel and multi-faith rooms open to staff 24-hours a day for prayer or peaceful meditation
· Shuttle buses: our free staff buses run frequently between our hospital sites
· Flexible working: we aim to tailor your working hours to your individual needs in line with the needs of the service where you work. Find out more when you come to interview with us.
· Staff networks: join one of our growing staff networks that aim to connect our staff and promote equality, diversity and inclusion. Currently we have a BAME network; women’s network; LGBTQ+ network and a disability network
If you have any questions or would like to speak to someone about our current vacancies you can email imperial.Nurse.Recruiters@nhs.net.
About this page
- Last updated
Full of opportunity
Specialist surgery nursing at Charing Cross Hospital
Theatres nursing at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Stroke and neurosciences nursing at Charing Cross Hospital, London
Acute and specialist medicine nursing at Charing Cross Hospital, London
Acute and specialist medicine nursing at St Mary’s Hospital, London
“Nursing is a grand career”: A day in the life of Alice Markey, discharge nurse
Sister Alice Markey has been with Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust for 25 years. As a discharge nurse, Alice ensures that patients are fit to leave hospital and that the right support is in place to help them continue their recovery, as you’ll…