Pay and benefits
When you join the NHS you'll receive a range of benefits
When you join the NHS you’re guaranteed a salary that matches your level of responsibility. You’ll have every opportunity to increase it through training and development.
On top of your basic salary, you’ll receive at least 27 days' holiday each year, in addition to bank holidays, plus a range of other benefits including occupational health and counselling services. These include:
- The NHS Pension Scheme: This is one of the most generous pension schemes in the UK and you’ll automatically become a member on joining the Trust
- Flexible working: From part-time working to annualised hours, we help you to achieve the right balance between your work and home life
- Trust recognition schemes: We offer a number of rewards for excellent service and long service
- Imperial Health at Work: You'll have access to a range of services including health screenings, health advice, immunisations, physiotherapy services
- Employee travel: We offer a free shuttle bus between our hospital sites
- On-site accommodation: You’ll have the opportunity to rent accommodation at Hammersmith, Charing Cross or St Mary’s hospitals
- Personal development, training and education: We’re committed to your continuing professional development and will support you with learning opportunities at every stage of your career
- DBS (disclosure and barring service – previously CRB) checks: we will cover any costs where one is required
From affordable accommodation to on-site nurseries, flexible working to fitness facilities, we offer a wide range of voluntary benefits that will help you get the most out of life. This includes the option to receive tax-efficient benefits through salary sacrifice and salary deduction.
Key benefits include:
- Season-ticket loan: Access to an interest-free loan to support the cost of your travel from home to work over a 10-month repayment period
- Car lease scheme: A tax-efficient way to choose and drive a brand new, fully maintained and insured car over a 36-month period
- On-site nursery: Access to a subsidised nursery at Charing Cross Hospital to support parents and carers who work for the Trust
- Cycle-to-work scheme: Purchase a bike and cycle safety equipment for travel to and from work
- Wellbeing initiatives such as gym membership
Discounts and lifestyle benefits
You can access a range of discounts from a selection of local and national providers of entertainment, holidays, travel, food and drink including:
- Staff Arts Club: join the staff Arts Club and you’ll receive free admission to exhibitions at some of London’s major museums and galleries including: the Royal Academy of Arts, the Victoria & Albert Museum, the Tate Modern and the Tate Britain. Staff can also enter a regular ballot to watch events for free in a box at the Royal Albert Hall.
Under a salary sacrifice arrangement, you give up part of your salary for an agreed period in exchange for a non-cash benefit, such as the loan of goods or services, which are not subject to tax or national insurance deductions.
Under salary deduction you will pay equal instalments from your net monthly pay to cover the cost of the goods or services you’ve received.
Agenda for Change is the pay scheme that applies to all employees in the NHS, except directors, doctors and dentists. This scheme allocates job posts to one of nine bands on the basis of the knowledge, responsibility, skills and effort needed for the job. Within each pay band there are a number of pay points to progress through. As you successfully develop your skills and knowledge, you can progress in annual increments up to the maximum in your pay band.
You can find details of the latest pay scales by downloading the most recent Agenda for Change pay and conditions circular.
All the national agreements on pay and conditions of service for NHS employees (apart from directors, doctors and dentists) are in the NHS terms and conditions of service handbook.
About this page
- Last updated