Endocrinology is a specialty service that sees patients with a range of hormonal diseases. For most of our patients their problems occur because they either produce too much or have too little of a particular hormone. Deficiency of a hormone can cause symptoms that are difficult to diagnose and that make patients feel unwell in peculiar ways. If your GP thinks that your symptoms are due to a hormonal deficiency or excess then you may be referred to see one of our endocrinologists.
We have a nationally recognised pituitary service for specialised tumours such as Cushing's syndrome and acromegaly, and our outcomes for the treatment of endocrine tumours are some of the best in Europe.
Conditions and treatments
Our service addresses a variety of hormonal diseases and specialties, including:
- pituitary thyroid adrenal bone and parathyroid (gland beside thyroid gland)
- neuroendocrine tumours (in cells of endocrine and nervous systems)
- carcinoid tumours (slow-growing neuroendocrine tumours)
- reproductive endocrinology
Treatments we offer:
- Medical treatment
- Dynamic endocrine tests
- Hormone measurements
- British Thyroid Foundation
- Society for Endocrinology
- Butterfly Thyroid Cancer Trust
- National Osteoporosis Society
- Association for Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Disorders (AMEND)
- Diabetes UK
Take our friends and family test
Would you recommend our services to your friends and family? Let us know by completing our friends and family test. Your comments will help us to make changes and take immediate action when there’s a problem.
I visit the hospital several times a year and have always found ward staff and general hospital staff to be very obliging and helpful irrespective of their roles. The general impression of the hospital is that it is clean and well cared for.Anonymous
The staff were pleasant, helpful and very attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The ward was welcoming and spotless, it was a very positive experience.Amanda