Find out what to expect when you come to hospital for your appointment.
Before your appointment
Please remember to check your appointment letter for anything specific you have been asked to take with you. In addition, it would be helpful if you could bring the following:
- Your full address and telephone number(s)
- Your appointment card and appointment letter
- Your GP’s name and address
- Money to pay for any prescriptions, or an exemption card
- A list of questions you may want to ask your consultant
During your appointment
At the scar clinic you will be seen by one of our plastic surgeons who will ask questions about your scar and your general medical condition. Keloid scars are often treated with steroid injections into the scar. If your scar is suitable for this, treatment will be started at your first clinic visit. You may then be asked to return regularly for further courses of injections.
After your appointment
If your scar is felt to be suitable for surgical treatment, this is not now routinely funded by the NHS and we will need to make an application for funding before you can be booked for surgery.
About this page
- Last updated