Sexual health and HIV
Coronavirus update for sexual health and HIV services
Our hospitals are making changes to help respond to coronavirus and protect our patients, staff and visitors.
From 5 August 2020, our sexual health appointment triage line will run from 12.00 to 19.00 on Wednesdays.
Other weekdays opening times remain at 09:00 to 17:00.
For a sexual health appointment call the triage line on 0203 312 6614.
Key changes for sexual health services at the Jefferiss Wing
- The Jefferiss Wing is not offering a walk-in sexual health service until further notice
- You can only access to Jefferiss Wing sexual health services by calling 020 3312 6614
- Our phone service is available for appointments Monday to Friday 09.00 to 17.00, except Wednesday that is 12.00 to 19.00, excluding bank holidays
- Monday the 31st August 2020, The Jefferiss Wing will not be open
- To keep our staff and patients safe we have changed our attendance arrangements
If you need to speak with a member of the team or schedule a phone or Video consultation with the team, please call 020 3312 6614
For an online sexual health check go to Sexual Health London.
Key changes for the sexual function services at the Jefferiss Wing
- All sexual function appointments at the Jefferiss Wing are by Video, phone or face to face if advised by your Consultant
- Please do not come to the Jefferiss Wing unless we have advised you to do so following a phone consultation
Key updates for people who use HIV services at the Jefferiss Wing
- Access to HIV services is via phone consultation only. Call 020 3312 3405 or 020 3312 3406 to book an appointment
- Our phone service is available for appointments Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00, including bank holidays
- We will not offer blood tests for most patients.
- The Wharfside Clinic is not offering a walk-in service until further notice - please do not come into our clinics unless we have advised you to do so after a phone consultation
- If you have an appointment, a doctor or nurse will call you as soon as possible to arrange a medication supply
- Unfortunately, you will not be able to sign up for home delivery of medication at this time if you are not already registered for that service
- If you have a health concern related to your HIV status or need medication urgently, please call our emergency clinic at 020 3312 5253
- Consult the British HIV Association for up-to-date information for people living with HIV
If you would like a telephone consultation and do not have a routine appointment arranged already:
Call 020 3312 3405 or 020 3312 3406 to book an appointment
Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your appointment
Your appointment will be a phone consultation – your doctor or nurse will call you on the day of your appointment
Visiting the sexual health clinic
Our Jefferiss Wing sexual health clinics offer testing, treatment and advice for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Where possible we will diagnose and treat you at your first visit. However, not all infections can be diagnosed immediately – samples may need to be sent off to our laboratories for analysis. We will contact you immediately to ask you to return for treatment, if your results are positive for an STI.
Our address is:
St Mary's Hospital
London W2 1NY
Arriving at the Jefferiss Wing
- On arranging a face to face visit to the Jefferiss Wing staff will ask you a few question to assess your risk of COVID
- To enable us to keep you safe and maintain social distancing in our waiting areas, we ask you to arrive just prior to your appointment. If you arrive early you may be asked to wait outside the clinic till your appointment time
- If possible please attend your appointment alone
- On arrival a receptionist and nurse will meet you at the entrance, they will confirm your appointment and direct you to your waiting area
- We will take your temperature, repeat the COVID screening questions, ask you to use the alcohol hand gel and put on a fresh face mask.
Sexual Health London is an online sexual health service for people who want a straightforward and convenient test for sexually transmitted infections without needing to visit a clinic. It is available to residents of all London boroughs except Hillingdon, Hounslow, Sutton, Croydon, Greenwich and Barking and Dagenham.
Just register for Sexual Health London and complete the online consultation. If the service is right for you, a free kit will be posted out so you can collect your samples and return them to the lab for testing – you will receive the test results within a few days. Alternatively you can pick up a self-testing kit at our sexual health clinic.
If you live in a borough where Sexual Health London is not available, you can find your local service provider either through SH24 or NHS.uk (NHS Choices).
Find a service
If you can’t find what you need above and need to be seen today, please call our sexual health triage line on 0203 312 6614 for more information.
If you’re experiencing symptoms or you need advice about contraception, you can call our Triage line on 020 3312 6614 and arrange a telephone consultation. If following the telephone consultation you require a face to face consultation the staff member will arrange for you to attend the service.
Triage line ans service opening times
9.00 to 17.00
09.00 to 17.00
12.00 to 19.00
09.00 to 17.00
09.00 to 17.00
Please note: We have created guidance around extended use of contraceptive devices during the coronavirus pandemic. Please download our leaflet to learn more.
Before you come to the Jefferiss Wing, you can use the FPA contraception tool to help you decide which contraception method may be best for you.
At the Jefferiss Wing we provide emergency contraception and long-acting reversible contraception. If you require contraceptive pills, patches, rings, diaphragms or injections, we advise you attend your local sexual health service. You can find this either through SH24 or NHS.uk (NHS Choices).
Intrauterine devices (IUDs) and intrauterine systems (IUSs)
We can fit and remove intrauterine devices (IUD) and intrauterine systems (IUS), sometimes known as coils.
You can book a pre-assessment for a coil by calling our triage line on 0203 312 6614 Before you book an appointment, please watch this video by NHS Lothian Chalmers Sexual Health Centre and read our helpful checklist to make sure that a coil will be suitable for you. If you do not, then we will not be able to fit a coil at your first appointment and you will have to come back to the clinic again. If you have any questions about whether a coil is suitable for you, you can call the clinic on 020 3312 6614 for advice.
We can fit and remove contraceptive implants.
Call our triage line on 0203 312 6614 to arrange n to have an implant fitted or removed. Please note that if you can’t feel your implant, we will need to refer you to a deep implant removal centre. Your GP or local contraceptive service can also refer you.
If you need emergency contraception please call our triage line on 0203 312 6614For an appointment. We can:
- provide oral emergency contraception, or the ‘morning after pill’ – we can provide this up to five days after you have had unprotected sex.
- fit emergency coils – we can provide you with an emergency coil up to five days (120 hours) after you have had unprotected sex or or within five days of the earliest time you could have released an egg. If you’re not sure when your last estimated date of egg release was, please call our triage line on 020 3312 6614 to discuss with a nurse or doctor.
The PrEP trial (also known as the IMPACT trial) is closed to new participants. The final visit for the trial must be undertaken before 12th October, at that visit you will be switched over to NHS funded PrEP.
If you are already enrolled on the trial and either need an appointment or are running low on tablets, please call 0203 313 6614 to arrange to speak to one of the team.
Patient information leaflets
British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH)
- Lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- More sexually transmitted infections leaflets from BASHH
Further online resources
- Central and North West London sexual health services
- SASH - support and advice on sexual health
- Club Drug Clinic
- FPA - My contraception tool
- General Enquiries
- 020 3312 1225
Patients and visitors to St Mary’s Hospital may experience some disruption caused by nearby demolition works for the Paddington Square development (on the corner of Praed Street and London Street). We apologise in advance for any impact these neighbouring works may have for our patients and visitors.
While the developer has put in place a range of mitigation and monitoring measures, we anticipate that there may be some disruption caused by additional noise, dust and vibration. If patients and visitors wish to raise any issues about the impact of the demolition works on their care and treatment, then we would ask them to speak to our staff or contact the patient advice and liaison service (PALS).
Read the full story
New Hepatitis C cases down by almost 70 per cent in HIV positive men
New cases of hepatitis C amongst HIV positive men in London and Brighton have fallen by nearly 70 per cent in recent years, according to an analysis of five clinics in London and Brighton led by researchers at Imperial College London and Imperial…
Read the full story
HIV remission achieved in patient at Hammersmith Hospital
A patient at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust has achieved a sustained remission from HIV-1 after ceasing antiretroviral treatment – becoming only the second person globally to do so.
Take our friends and family test
Would you recommend our services to your friends and family? Let us know by completing our friends and family test. Your comments will help us to make changes and take immediate action when there’s a problem.
Staff are always super professional and very friendly. Keep up the good work and thanks to all the staff.Anonymous
I was delighted to find that I could now book an appointment for a sexual health check-up and wasn't disappointed. I was in and out in 25 minutes and my lovely nurse couldn't have been more friendly, helpful and thorough.Anonymous
The staff at the Jefferiss wing were discreet, friendly and knowledgeable. I'd highly recommend.Anonymous