Dermatology patient information
Before your appointment
You will receive your appointment within 12 weeks of referral. You are welcome to ask for a chaperone and we will endeavour to provide one for you. You are also welcome to bring a relative, close friend or carer with you to your appointment.
Please bring along any medications, creams or topical treatments you are currently using on the skin. Please also remember to check your appointment letter for anything specific you have been asked to take with you. In addition, it would be helpful if you could bring the following:
- Your full address and telephone number(s)
- Your appointment card and appointment letter
- Your GP’s name and address
- Money to pay for any prescriptions, or an exemption card
- A list of questions you may want to ask your consultant
During your appointment
We aim to see patients within 30 minutes of arrival. Appointments usually take 30 minutes or less. At your first dermatology appointment, you will be seen by one of our specialist dermatology doctors who will take a detailed history of your symptoms and examine your skin.
Please note: Depending on your condition, you may be required to undress down to your underwear to allow the doctor to see the extent of your problem. In some cases it may be necessary to take a skin biopsy to help diagnose your condition.
After your appointment
Treatment for most skin conditions will usually include topical moisturisers and ointments. We can also provide a range of medications and skin therapies. You will receive a follow-up appointment if necessary.
Patient information leaflets
- DERMATOLOGY LIFE QUALITY INDEX (DLQI)
- DERMATOLOGY LIFE QUALITY INDEX (DLQI) CALCULATOR
- WEEKLY URTICARIA ACTIVITY SCORE (UAS7)
- PATIENT HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE (PHQ-9) CALCULATOR
- GENERALISED ANXIETY DISORDER ASSESSMENT (GAD-7) CALCULATOR
About this page
- Last updated