Imperial College Healthcare features in new TV series showing the real-life decisions, challenges and achievements of the NHS
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust features in a new documentary, following staff and patients at its five hospitals – Charing Cross, Hammersmith, Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea, St Mary’s and the Western Eye – to be broadcast on BBC Two from Wednesday 11 January at 9pm.
Hospital, a six-part series, goes behind the scenes to show the complexity of the NHS in action – including how staff are managing competing pressures and demands to ensure patients get the care they need now, as well as working to transform services to respond to changing needs. Camera crews were on site for six weeks in the autumn/winter of 2016.
Director of communications Michelle Dixon said: “It’s not an easy decision to allow camera crews in to follow all aspects of daily life in our hospitals. But we think it’s really important to share the opportunities and challenges, the highs and the lows, with our patients and local communities. It’s their service as much as ours and the only way we can ensure we maintain and build on the very best of the NHS is by working together.
“The series will show the huge range of day-to-day activities, from the small acts of kindness that make a huge difference to an individual to ground-breaking research trials that change practice world-wide.
“We’re extremely grateful to the many patients, and their families and carers, as well as the staff who allowed us to show their experiences as part of the series.”
The series was made by Label1, a new independent television production company whose founders have a long track record in creating ground-breaking factual programmes.
Notes to editors
- The six part series airs on BBC Two from Wednesday 11 January 2017 and the trailer for the series will air from early 2017.
- Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is one of the largest and busiest acute NHS Trusts in the UK, caring for over one million people each year.
- We have almost 10,000 staff working in many different roles from doctors and nurses to physiotherapists and biomedical scientists.
- For further information about Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust or this news release please contact Madeleine Childs, media manager on 020 3312 1331 or email email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter at @imperialnhs and visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ImperialNHS