Leslie Brent Laboratory
The Leslie Brent Laboratory (UKAS accredited, 9280) is part of the kidney and transplant services within the division of medicine and integrated care at Imperial College Healthcare.
We provide a therapeutic drug monitoring service for the measurement of immunosuppressive and immunomodulatory drugs for patients who have had a transplant or who have immune-based disorders.
It is open 09.00 to 17.00, Monday to Friday, and one day each bank holiday weekend.
GPs and other care providers can request analysis of blood samples to monitor:
- tacrolimus – ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) or ‘purple top’ sample required
- ciclosporin – EDTA sample required
- mycophenolic acid (MPA) – EDTA or serum sample required (no gel tubes)
- sirolimus – EDTA sample required
- hydroxychloroquine (HQA) – EDTA sample required
- 5-flucytosine (5-FC) – serum required (‘red top’, no gel tubes)
- itraconazole – serum required (red top, no gel tubes)
- hydroxy-itraconazole – serum required (red top, no gel tubes)
- posaconazole – serum required (red top, no gel tubes)
- voriconazole – serum required (red top, no gel tubes)
There are no appointments or drop ins for patients. GPs can request tests without referring patients by completing a laboratory request form and sending samples directly. Please see our user guide for more information.
The laboratory provides a same-day service for ciclosporin and tacrolimus analysis from Monday to Friday, if a patient sample is received at the laboratory by 13.30 that day. The other tests are done on:
- MPA levels – three times per week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
- sirolimus levels – Wednesdays only
- HCQ levels – Thursdays only
- anti-fungal drug levels (5-FC, itraconazole, hydroxy-itraconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole) – twice a week (Tuesday and Fridays only)
The laboratory is located on the ground floor of the F block building at Hammersmith Hospital.
For clinical support, advice and guidance, GPs and other care providers can call:
Dr Tom Cairns, laboratory director
020 3313 5175 or 079 5846 8693
Dr Janet Lee, laboratory manager
020 3313 6639
Mr Gary Chusney, deputy laboratory manager
020 3313 6638
- 020 3313 6637