Trust staff receive academic promotions at Imperial College London
Trust staff members have been promoted as part of the latest round of academic promotions at Imperial College London.
Of more than 130 academic staff promoted at Imperial College for this year, 13 also have clinical roles across the Trust, including radiologists, gynaecologists, infectious disease experts and surgeons. The promotion of Trust staff who hold both academic and clinical positions further highlights research excellence at Imperial College Healthcare, with many of our senior clinicians actively researching in their field to improve care and provide cutting edge treatments for patients.
Imperial College Healthcare staff promoted at Imperial College London in 2021:
- Dr Caroline Alexander - Lead clinical academic for therapies and Professor of practice (Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy)
- Dr Tara Barwick - Consultant radiologist and Professor of practice (cancer imaging)
- Dr Christopher Chiu - Honorary consultant in infectious disease and Professor of infectious diseases
- Dr Susan Copley - Consultant radiologist and Professor of practice (radiology)
- Dr Elizabeth Dick – Consultant radiologist and Professor of practice (neurosurgery)
- Dr Andrew Hartle - Consultant in anaesthesia and intensive care and Professor of practice (anaesthesia)
- Dr Luke Howard - Consultant respiratory physician and Professor of practice (Cardiopulmonary Medicine)
- Dr Maria Kyrgiou - Consultant gynaecologist, gynaecologic oncologist and Clinical professor of gynaecological oncology
- Dr Hermione Lyall - Clinical director, children's services and Professor of practice in paediatric infectious diseases
- Mr Erik Mayer - Clinical senior lecturer, consultant urological surgeon and Clinical reader in urology
- Dr Michael Osborn - Consultant histopathologist and Professor of practice
- Mr Nick Panay - Consultant gynaecologist and Professor of practice
- Mr Guri Sandhu - Consultant ENT surgeon and Professor of practice (laryngology)
The Trust is part of the Imperial College Academic Health Science Centre, a partnership between Imperial College London, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and two other London NHS trusts, which brings together multi-disciplinary research and education with NHS resources and clinical experience to advance discovery and innovation in healthcare. The Trust also hosts the (National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Imperial Biomedical Research Centre, a translational research partnership with Imperial College that provides infrastructure to conduct early-stage experimental medicine and exploits the scientific power of Imperial College to provide breakthroughs in the clinical setting.
Commenting on the appointments, chief executive Professor Tim Orchard, said: “Integrating science into the clinical care of our patients is something that sets Imperial College Healthcare apart – our patients receive cutting edge treatments and evidence-based care from doctors, nurses and therapists who are themselves leading research in their field. It’s especially pleasing that this list includes our first practising allied health professional to be made professor.
"So many of our staff provide a significant contribution to medical science and always keep our patients at the forefront. Medical innovation and discovery hugely benefits from the direct clinical experience afforded by our expert Imperial people. I’m thrilled to see so many of our staff recognised in this latest round of promotions at Imperial College, which continues to highlight the strength of translational research at our Trust.”
Read more about the academic promotions at Imperial College London on their website.