Extra £1 million to help with winter pressures
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust has successfully bid for an additional £1 million to support a range of initiatives to help deliver high quality care this winter.
The funding has been allocated via the North West London Integrated Care System.
The initiatives all support our work ‘to keep care flowing’, maximising our ability to care for as many patients as possible, as quickly as possible. They include:
- Extra staff and support out of hours to support general ‘flow’
- additional acute medical doctors at both St Mary’s and Charing Cross hospitals
- additional therapy staff supporting in the emergency departments and across medical and surgical wards at weekends
- an increase in pharmacy capacity to help ensure prescriptions are ready for patients to support timely discharge
- dedicated porters to transfer patients to step-down wards to help ensure timely turnaround of beds for new inpatients from the emergency departments.
- Expanding our children’s same day emergency care service – additional staff to enable more children and young people to get the urgent and emergency care they need without having to be admitted as inpatients.
- Additional staff and theatre capacity for our trauma service – an additional trauma coordinator every day to ensure care packages are established as quickly as possible. We will also be extending trauma theatre lists three times a week, with full radiography support, to enable more trauma operations, reducing the time patients have to wait as inpatients.
- Additional community beds – as we continue to work closely with our partners across north west London, we will have access to four extra rehabilitation beds in the community.
Last month we published the plans we’ve put in place ahead of our second winter with Covid-19. This included over £2 million of investments for additional staffing and more space specifically for urgent and emergency care. Find out more here.